Curly’s Coconut Carrot Cake Muffins with Honey Frosting
So good you will say:
“There is no way these are vegan, gluten free, cane sugar-free, and full of protein and fiber.”
1/3 cup of brown rice flour
1/3cup tablespoons millet flour
3 tablespoons tapioca flour/starch
(or Bob’s GF baking mix)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fine ground sea salt
1/2 cup organic coconut palm sugar
1 cup organic chopped walnuts (leave out for allergy free)
2/3 cup organic raisins (I prefer golden).
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled. To melt oil: or spoon the oil into a small saucepan and melt over low heat.
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons organic pure maple syrup
½ teaspoon vanilla extract or the scrapings from half of a bean.
1 and ¼ cup grated organic carrots (2 large/3 small carrots). Use small grating size if possible.
Two tablespoons flax meal and 3 tablespoons water.
1/3 of a cup of applesauce or apricot applesauce.
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
Make Icing First:
1.5 cups of earth balance soy-free spread.
1 Tablespoon of sunflower butter. (Sun Butter)
¾ cup of honey.
1Tablespoon of grated roasted beet for pink color (optional)
Blend With an electric hand mixer.
Refrigerate frosting covered for 20-30 min. (longer ok)
1) In a medium size bowl, mix brown rice flour, millet flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, cinnamon, and sea salt using a whisk. Set aside.
2) In a small bowl, combine coconut palm sugar, flax “egg” and applesauce with melted and slightly cooled coconut oil, and maple syrup. Mix with a spoon until smooth. Add carrots to wet mixture and mix.
3) Add wet mixture to dry ingredients that have been set aside. Mix until all dry ingredients are incorporated.
4) Fold in grated carrots, raisins, and chopped walnuts.
5) Line a cupcake pan with muffin papers of line muffin tin with coconut oil.
6) Fill each of six -10 muffin cups approximately 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a fork comes out clean. Do not over bake and edges are golden.
Cool completely if you will frost them. Spread frosting over each muffin/cake or eat plain for breakfast!
Questions? Talk to me! If you're not sure about the best way I can serve you, tell me a bit about your challenge here. I would love to hear from you if you have any questions about services, workshops or speaking engagements. Please fill out the form below and I will reply as soon as possible.