You’ll feel more confident answering challenging sleep questions, preventing sleep challenges and setting families up to sleep soundly.
3 Contact Hours for DONA International, CAPPA, 3 CERPs for IBCLC’s/IBLCE
Recording and materials emailed to all registrants, if you an’t make it live!
This webinar is for:
- Birth and Postpartum Doulas
- Lactation Consultants and Counselors, peer breastfeeding educators
- Postpartum or Perinatal Counselors and Perinatal Psychotherapists
- Family Doctors, Naturopaths, Midwives, newborn nurses, newborn care specialists.
- Parent-Baby group facilitators
You will learn:
- The science of lactation as it relates to and Infant/Parent sleep including how to best utilize natural hormones for sleep.
- The science of circadian rhythms and how aligning with light and dark creates better sleep for all.
- How to educate families on the anthropology and biology of lactation and sleep and typical development.
- Special considerations for serving bottle feeding, formula-feeding and exclusively-pumping families.
- Discussion of the works and studies of Dr. Helen Ball and Dr. James McKenna and further data.
- How to best support families that wish to bed-share while protecting yourself legally.
- To prioritize feeding relationship while also helping families find a balance between breastfeeding/ body feeding sleep, work and mental health.
- To better understand and compare sleep training methods parents are using and the latest thought on safety and possible health/ lactation challenges with some common sleep interventions.
- Infant, maternal, and family development and milestones; environments, considerations like GERD/Reflux, and nutritional challenges as they relate to sleep.
- How to talk to families about sleep in a supportive and non-judgmental way that helps you understand and mold your sleep help to their unique values.
- Clear understanding of safer sleep; and how to diplomatically talk about safety and baby sleep products and contraptions.
- Exactly how a parent or professional can help baby learn important sleep skills without compromising feeding.
- How you can support sleep within the scope of your current biz vs. what a sleep consultant does and how they might be offered separately to the same family to stay within scope.
Note: This course focuses on the first 4 months. It will not teach you how to “sleep train” or promise “sleep through the night.” The AAP does not recommend sleep training before 3 months and does not recommend it specifically until after 6 months. The Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine does not recommend sleep training (reducing feeds, babies crying alone) for young babies. For work with older babies and toddlers, consider my Sleep Savvy Mentorship & Certification
- Webinar is 3 hours long with a potty break
- I will answer all questions LIVE.
- You can also email me questions after the webinar if you cannot attend live.
- You will be emailed a recording, PDF handouts, including informative slides from the presentation.
I’m watching the art and science of lactation and sleep and I can’t believe your knowledge AND lovely way of teaching this information. You are calm and peaceful and have the best phrases. I’m not sure I will ever reach your skill in this subject but it’s worth trying because I want to help families. Thank you.
Those videos you shared where you were supporting babies in learning how to sleep on a flat surface were absolutely invaluable to me. I feel like I can better hold this balance of supporting bedsharing and babywearing AND crib sleep.
The links and handouts were awesome. I feel like I finally have the compiled evidence to stand behind a lot of the sleep recommendations I make as a lactation counselor. But you also helped me remember to be really careful that I give evidence versus opinion on people’s sleep choices.
*Must complete a quiz and short eval within 10 days to receive contact hours from CAPPA, DONA International and IBLCE Cerps. Recording will be emailed to all.
$75 Tax-deductible investment
Taught by Moorea Malatt, a PMH-C Perinatal Mental Health Certified Sleep Educator and Consultant, LEC Lactation Educator Counselor; Early Childhood Development specialist and all-around baby science nerd!
Previously presented live at:
- BabyFest NW – Seattle, WA
- BabyFest NW – Portland, OR
- Mt Diablo Doulas – Bay Area, CA
- PALS – Doulas Seattle, WA
- Lifecycle Womancare – Philadelphia, PA
- Center for Birth – Seattle, WA
- Wild Was Mama – Brooklyn, NY
- Blossom Birth – Palo Alto, CA
- and more….