You’ll feel more confident answering client sleep questions, preventing sleep challenges and setting families up to sleep soundly. This is the online version of my touring in-person workshop.
3 Contact Hours for CAPPA, 3 CERPs for IBCLC’s/IBLCE
This webinar is for:
- Birth and Postpartum Doulas
- Lactation Consultants and Counselors, peer breastfeeding educators
- Postpartum or Perinatal Counselors and Perinatal Psychotherapists
- Family Doctors, Naturopaths, Midwives, newborn nurses, newborn care specialists.
- Parent-Baby group facilitators
You will learn:
- The Science of Lactation and Infant/Maternal Sleep including how to best utilize natural hormones for sleep
- The science of circadian rhythms and how aligning with light and dark creates better sleep for all.
- How to educate families on the anthropology and biology of lactation and sleep.
- Special considerations for serving bottle feeding, formula-feeding and exclusively-pumping families.
- Discussion of the works and studies of Dr. Helen Ball and Dr. James McKenna
- How to best support families that wish to bed-share while protecting yourself legally.
- To prioritize feeding relationship while also helping families find a balance between breastfeeding/ chest feeding sleep, work and mental health.
- To better understand and, compare sleep training methods parents are using and the latest thought on safety and possible health/ lactation challenges with some common sleep interventions.
- Infant, maternal, and family development and milestones; environments, considerations like GERD/Reflux, and nutritional challenges as they relate to sleep.
- How to talk to families about sleep in a supportive and non-judgmental way that helps you understand and mold your sleep help to their unique values.
- Clear understanding of safer sleep; and how to diplomatically talk about safety and baby sleep products and contraptions.
- Exactly how an overnight consultant/doula can help baby learn important sleep skills without compromising feeding.
- How you can support sleep within the scope of your current biz vs. what a sleep consultant does and how they might be offered separately to the same family while staying within scope.
Note: This course will not teach you how to “sleep train” or promise “sleep through the night.” The AAP does not recommend sleep training before 3 months and does not recommend it specifically until after 6 months. The Academy Breastfeeding Medicine does not recommend sleep training (reducing feeds, babies crying alone) for young babies. This course will not prepare you for supporting families with deeply seated sleep challenges over 9 months but email me if you’re looking for that.
Moorea Malatt of SavvyParentingSupport.com teaches this seminar. She is a Lactation Certificated Counselor-Educator, Certified Postpartum Doula, Parent Consultant and mother with a background in child development and psychology, anthropology and biology. She enjoys a career as a breastfeeding, sleep and parenting educator and consultant supporting families and professionals all over the world.
- I will answer all questions LIVE. You will have the option of audio, video or texting in.
- You can also email me questions after the webinar
- You will be emailed PDF handouts, including informative slides from the presentation.
Previously presented live at:
BabyFest NW – Seattle, WA
BabyFest NW – Portland, OR
Mt Diablo Doulas – Bay Area, CA
PALS – Doulas Seattle, WA
Lifecycle Womancare – Philadelphia, PA
Center for Birth – Seattle, WA
Wild Was Mama – Brooklyn, NY
Blossom Birth – Palo Alto, CA
- and more….
*Must complete a quiz and short eval to receive contact hours from CAPPA and IBLCE Cerps. You do not have to attend live for credit. Recording will be emailed.
$75 Tax-deductible investment