You’ll feel more confident answering client sleep questions and setting families up to sleep soundly.
This workshop is for:
- Birth and Postpartum Doulas DONA Approved! 3 CEU’s!
- Lactation Consultants and Counselors, peer breastfeeding educators
- Postpartum or Perinatal Counselors and Psychotherapists
- Family Doctors, Naturopaths, Midwives, newborn nurses, newborn care specialists.
- Parent-Baby class facilitators
You will learn:
- The Science of Breastfeeding and Infant/Maternal Sleep including how to best utilize natural circadian rhythms.
- How to educate families on the anthropology and biology of breastfeeding and sleep.
- Special considerations for serving bottle feeding, formula-feeding and exclusively-pumping families.
- Discussion of the works and studies of Dr. Helen Ball and Dr. James McKenna
- How to best support families that wish to bed-share while protecting yourself legally.
- To prioritize breastfeeding relationship while also helping families find a balance between breastfeeding, sleep, work and mental health.
- To better understand and, compare sleep training methods parents are using and the latest thought on safety and health of sleep interventions.
- Infant, maternal, and family development and milestones; environments, special needs, and nutritional challenges as they relate to sleep.
- How to talk to families about sleep in a supportive and non-judgmental way that helps you understand and mold your sleep help to their unique values.
- Clear understanding of safer sleep; advantages and disadvantages of sleep products available.
- Exactly how an overnight consultant/doula can help baby learn important sleep skills gently.
- When you are staying in scope of a doula presenting evidence-based info and when you are a sleep consultant.
- Best sleep practices for parents and caregivers from the Sleep Savvy Method.
Note: This course will not teach you how to “sleep train” a newborn under 4 months so that they will sleep through the night. The AAP does not recommend sleep training before 3 months and does not recommend it specifically until after 6 months. The field of Breastfeeding Medicine does not recommend sleep training (reducing feeds, babies crying alone) for young babies.
Moorea Malatt of SavvyParentingSupport.com teaches this workshop. She is a Lactation Counselor-Educator, Certified Postpartum Doula, Parent Coach and Mom with a background in child development and psychology, anthropology and biology. She works primarily as a sleep and parenting educator and consultant for families in the Sleep Savvy Method. More About Moorea
BabyFest NW Seattle WA
BabyFest NW, Portland OR
Mt Diablo doulas Bay Area CA
PALS Doulas Seattle, WA
(If you are already enrolled in the Sleep Savvy Certification and Mentorship Course, you can attend for free. If you decide to enroll in the certification during the next round of mentorship, this price of this class will be deducted from your certification fee.)